Current Job Openings
Veterinary Medical Director
PetVet Care Centers, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading operators of veterinary hospitals for companion animals. The company operates over 450 hospitals across multiple states and employs over 11,000 people including over 800 veterinarians. Since its inception, PetVet has been structured around a model that is focused on developing a partnership between the hospitals and the company and providing the highest quality medicine and service.
Position Overview: The Medical Director (MD) is responsible for providing strong leadership for the hospital, managing and mentoring associate veterinarians, and assuring regulatory compliance relating to the practice of veterinary medicine. The MD is also responsible for maintaining an environment of teamwork in which the highest quality veterinary medicine is delivered. In partnership with the hospital leadership team, the MD holds shared responsibility for the financial health of the hospital, directing staff and the overall management of practice operations. The MD also serves as a staff veterinarian in addition to the administrative and leadership duties of the MD role. Effective MDs demonstrate strong work and professional ethics, a positive attitude, and uphold a high standard of patient care. They are part of the foundation upon which successful veterinary practices are built and directly impact and influence hospital culture and morale.
Salary Range: $295,000 to $300,000, Options for sign on and relocation
- Maintaining a high quality of progressive veterinary care
- Oversees and gives directives regarding medical standards and quality of care
- Sets policies as they pertain to the practice of medicine
- Works toward making various services work as one team
- In conjunction with appropriate leadership team members, recommends additions to the hospital inventory
- Budgets for new equipment and provides a reasonable cost estimate and return on investment
- Sees patients and handles clinical practice
- Ensures positive communication with clients and between doctors, including the proper transfer of patient care responsibilities
- Reviews patient records for completeness and accuracy and uses them to promote medical excellence
- Appropriately manages controlled drugs
- Reviews and approves requests for alternatives to additional drugs and medical supplies
- Conducts regular doctor meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned by Manager
- Handles patient care problems, client complaints, and referral partner issues
- Manages veterinary, client, and board complaints and recommends resolutions
- Schedules staff at the hospital to meet practice needs
- Develops medical policies
- Assists in ensuring practice compliance with the State Veterinary Medical Practice Act, OSHA, and AAHA standards
Leading by example:
- Holds licensure in good standing to practice and maintains all required licenses with timely renewals
- Monitors DVM performance and production, provides coaching when appropriate
- Serves as a mentor and role model for all staff veterinarians
Development of the practice:
- Leads candidate interviews of potential DVMs
- Identifies new service opportunities that do not currently exist in the hospital
- Holds ownership for the revenue and success of the practice through monitoring key performance indicators and works with the Hospital Manager to make adjustments to achieve positive results
- Helps identify and plan for upcoming challenges in maintaining hospital operations and possible temporary solutions (locum)
- Performs other duties as assigned by Manager
- Conflict resolution
- Customer Service
- Doctor in Veterinary Medicine Degree
- 3-5 years of clinical experience, preferred
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent time-management and delegation abilities
- Exercises sound judgment and demonstrates exemplary decision-making skills
- Professionalism and courtesy in all interactions with others
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
The list of essential functions, as outlined in this job description, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of any job function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
PetVet is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status or any other basis prohibited by law. EOE, M/F/D/V
PetVet respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. Please see our privacy notice for additional information about our data practices.
Why Consider Our Ceres Hospital?
At American Pet Clinic, our team members all share the same passion for making and keeping animals healthy.
Our hospital truly is an excellent place to work, with a highly skilled team focused on 'best in practice' veterinary care.
We are very supportive of individuals looking to grow their veterinary careers and look forward to hearing from you.
We invite you to explore your veterinary career options with American Pet Clinic, where you'll be a respected member of a team that loves animals and values the contributions from every individual on the team.
OUR CORE VALUES
New Patients Always Welcome
American Pet Clinic is accepting new patients! Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.