Skip to Main Content

Dogs Stung By Bees: What Do I Need To Do?

Dogs Stung By Bees: What Do I Need To Do?

If you think your dog has been stung by a bee on its paw or its body it is important to monitor them for an allergic reaction, which would require immediate veterinary care. In most cases, dogs should begin to feel better within a few hours after a bee sting, but today our Ceres vets will let you know what to do and when.

How Can I Tell If My Dog Has Been Stung By A Bee?

The most obvious symptoms to watch out for are drooling, swelling, excessive licking, and pawing at a specific area. It may also be safe to assume a bee sting is a cause if your dog is digging around in a flower bush and crying out.

The most common spots for bee stings on dogs include the pads of the feet, the mouth, and the face.

What Do I Do If My Dog Has Been Stung?

After a sting, monitor your dog for an allergic reaction. In the meantime, call your regular vet to let them know what happened and ask if they’d like you to bring your dog in.

Monitoring Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction

The most important thing to do immediately following a bee sting is to watch for an allergic reaction. Dogs who have been stung before or who are stung by multiple bees at once time are more likely to have an allergic reaction.

It's crucial to keep an eye on your pet's breathing if the sting site swells noticeably, especially if it's on the neck or face. Take your dog to an emergency vet right away if you suspect that she isn't breathing enough or that she is beginning to gasp or wheeze.

If your dog starts vomiting within 5-10 minutes after being stung or has increasingly pale gums, this could be a sign of anaphylactic shock. If your dog shows either of these symptoms, head to an emergency vet immediately.

Other dangerous signs of an allergic reaction include significant drooling, agitation, or sudden aggression.

Making Your Dog More Comfortable

If 30 minutes to an hour have passed and your dog is showing no signs of an allergic reaction, you can focus on making them more comfortable.

In this case, your veterinarian may have already recommended over-the-counter medications (antihistamines such as Benadryl) but be sure to use the recommended dosage for your dog.

For most dogs, the area of the sting will be sensitive and puffy. If you can see the sting site and easily remove the stinger with tweezers, do so immediately to ease pain and prevent the venom from the stinger from spreading. 

After a sting, the majority of dogs should start to feel better within a few hours and should be back to normal within a day or two. To lessen swelling and inflammation, you can apply a damp towel to the sting site in the interim.

If you think your dog may have been stung by a bee, contact our American Pet Clinic vets right away.

New Patients Always Welcome

American Pet Clinic is accepting new patients! Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

(209) 537-2100 Contact